Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Fuck You Columbus

Yesterday was Columbus Day. I never even remember Columbus Day anymore, because I don't get the day off of school in college, like I did in high school. We only get Labor Day and Martin Luther King Jr Day. But we do get a month off for Christmas, so maybe I shouldn't bitch. The only reason I realized what day it was is because everyone on campus there was high school kids and huge tour buses packed with people in them all over campus. You could tell they were in high school because all of them were carrying bags from the Varisty Bookstore, probably buying a Northern hoodie or t shirt, or some shit like that. (Not that I don't own either of those things) Seeing those kids made me remember when I came here as a senior in high school to check out this school. I was so overwhelmed because the campus is so big, you wonder how anyone finds their way around it. And I remember seeing all of the college kids walking to class, thinking that they were awesome because they were in college and I was still a low life high school kid. I mean, even if they looked like a dork, they were still in college and that was just so goddamn cool to me. Growing up, I never thought I would graduate 8th grade, let alone get to high school and graduate from there after 4 years too. I don't mean I didn't think I would survive or something, it just seemed like it was forever away, and the day would never come. Now, holy shit, I'm a JUNIOR in college. (Well technically sophmore til January, cause right now I only have 55 credits when I should have 60, but shut up about it.) This is my THIRD year away from home. It still blows my mind when I think about it. When I was little, and met someone who was in college, I always thought that they had their life together, must be really smart and were awesome because they didn't have to live at home. I can tell you right now that none of that is true. I don't feel 20 by any means. When people ask me how old I am, I still go to say 19 for some reason, and my birthday was in May, for chrissakes. I guess I just can't get used to the fact that I'm in my 20's. And I'm not saying any of this so that a certain 24 and 25 year old can whine that they're older than me, so save it bitches. It's weird to think that if I had a kid or got married, it wouldn't be considered that ludicris. It wouldn't be like a 15 or 16 year old getting knocked up or getting married. Not that I am close to getting married or having a baby - I'm probably actually negative in those areas. Not that I want to get married or have a kid either, but you get the point. I'm 20, and can basically do anything I want now. Anyway, my whole point of this post is that now I'm one of those college kids that the high schoolers is in awe of. Ok, maybe too strong of words, because when I saw all of them today, I was wearing my gray sweatpants that I cut right above my ankle and a hoodie. Pretty cute outfit huh? And you wonder why I'm single. Or maybe you don't. Regardless, I'm sure I made a lasting impression on all of them. I'm in college! Sometimes walking through campus it hits me that I'm graduating kinda soon, and that freaks me out. Holy shit, I'm not ready for a real job. But I'll think about that more when the time comes.

Ok, maybe I'm not graduating that soon, I still have at a minimun 1 1/2 years left after this semster. After 4 years mom and dad won't pay for anything, so I better get out of here in 1 1/2 years. Since this summer will be my last one in college, I really want to use it to study abroad. Last year I talked about this too, but I never did anything about it. Keri is going to Ireland for the semester of Fall '05, and it made me insanely jealous. And I guess a little happy for her. Just a little though. I don't want to go for a whole semster because I want to live with Emily again, but I planned on getting an internship this summer anyways, so why not kill 2 birds with one stone. I'll get an intership in Australia! Or London! I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards Australia because I've wanted to get there since I was a little kid. I tried calling the Study Aborad office today, but being Columbus Day, they were closed. Fuck you Columbus. First you make me realize I'm getting old and then the office is closed because of you. I am really really going to do this though. This is my last chance, and I'm not letting it slip away this time. Thank god for my mom though. She really encourages all of us to travel whenever we get the chance. I went on a cruise my senior year, Keri has gone to New York twice and J.P. went to England and Ireland last spring. Not like she pays for it, but she'll lend us the money until we can pay her back. They have financial aid for study abroad though, so I'm really hoping I can get some of that. My parents will have three kids in college next year, they have to give me something. Even if it's just a loan, I don't mind paying back money, as long as you give it to me upfront. Goddamnit, I can't wait. I'm calling the office tomorrow to get the ball rolling on this. My mom doesn't believe I'll go through with it, because I always have big plans and never follow through with them, but I'm going to prove her wrong this time goddamnit. Ok, this is really long already, so I'm going to stop. But remember todays important lesson: Columbus was a bastard who didn't really discover America. And he didn't prove the Earth was round either. It was already common knowledge in his time that the Earth was not flat. Australia, home of England's crooks and prisoners, here I come bitches.

1 comment:

Bill B. said...

And he was a prick to the Native Americans also. I could have only wished Columbus would have been decapitated on his immediate arrival on the shores of the Atlantic. Just like ignorant white people.